1. Singing releases endorphins, which make you feel instantly happier.
2. And when you sing you also release oxytocin, which is a natural stress reliever and is found to alleviate feelings of depression and loneliness.
3. You’ll also sleep better, as a result of being less stressed.
4. Tests have shown that singing improves heart rate visibility, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
…which is the No. 1 killer in America, so singing is clearly a powerful thing.
5. And, when singing with someone else, your heart rates can even sync together.
6. Your posture will get straighter and you’ll gradually look more confident.
Because you have to stand tall to really belt it out!
7. And your feelings of safety and confidence increase when singing in a group.
8. It’s actually a good workout. You’ll work out your lungs, improve your circulation, and tone your abdominal and intercostal muscles.
9. Singing also has been proven to boost your immune system.
10. And even if you’re already sick, just hum a little number and you’ll open up your sinuses and respiratory tubes.
13. It’s been used as an all-natural way to help treat dementia, lung cancer, depression, and chronic pain.
14. You’ll probably live longer, in general.
A 2008 joint study by Harvard and Yale stated that choral singing in a Connecticut town had increased residents’ life expectancy.